Deconstructing the Mystery CD


I typically rely upon my iPod to furnish music in the car when not listening to news or sports talk. Why listen to a commercial station when I have my own dedicated one with thousands of songs, all preferential to my taste and selection?  Even with the iPod, I’ve still on occasion burned my own playlist CD’s, usually on a whim or to provide friends with requested tunes.

The other day, while searching for auto insurance credentials in my glove compartment (no, I didn’t get stopped for a traffic violation), I came across a single blue Maxell CD with a Sharpie-written question mark upon it. Clearly, I recognized the writing form of the question mark and determined it to be mine, although I had no memory of what might be on it or when it was burned. Since a road trip to Southern California was a day away, I would take it along and review what gems or otherwise I had selected for this mysterious play list.



My good friend “Neighbor” is the CEO of burning discs. He has provided me with hundreds through the years (I’ve known him since 1983) as he has for virtually every person in which he’s made their acquaintance. His rich collection of music and knowledge thereof, plus the clever themes and homemade artwork provided hours of listening pleasure, often adding extremely obscure songs and artists to the mix. His discs always came with detailed track listings. Mine, on the other hand, would merely be a blank disc with either the name of an artist or band (if that was the focus) or a vague reference like Favorites, Favs, or Road Music. The question mark, though, was a first.

What follows is my deconstruction, to a degree, of the 15 surprise tracks uncovered while listening to this mystery CD.

Track 1 - Meetin at The Malt Shop (The Original Mickey Mouse Club)
You read it right, the Original Mickey Mouse Club. Yep, Annette Funicello and all that. This recording, from 1958, might confuse listeners as it could very well be June Christy singing with the Stan Kenton Orchestra. The catchy tune and clever rhyme play will remind listeners of the latter years of the Big Band era; I enjoy the song as much today as I did as a child watching the Mickey Mouse Club. First time I played this for my oldest daughter she was confounded by the lyric "I'll help you with your algebra, if you help me with my math." Dad, how could someone help another student with algebra if they needed help with basic math? Point well taken! Enjoy.




Track 2 - Nineteen Forever (Joe Jackson)
This one is my personal anthem. Regardless of my chronological age, I'm Nineteen Forever. Jackson rocks, and this tale of staying young ("I'm never going to be 35") has resonated with me since my first listen. Very tasty saxophone solo brings it all home.



Track 3 - Space (Cheap Trick)
Everyone who likes this band typically sites Surrender or Want You to Want Me as their favorite songs, and while I also like those numbers, this is my favorite Cheap Trick song.


Track 4 - Sign Language (Eric Clapton)
This song is filled with so many bonuses that its a wonder it didn't get hardly any airplay. First, the band backing him on the song is The Band. Clapton aficionados know that in the early 70s Clapton wanted to join The Band. Robbie Robertson's signature guitar riffs are evident throughout the song, and the arrangement is classic mid-70s Band. Secondly, its a duet with Bob Dylan, although Dylan's vocals dominate the recording, which is not a bad thing on this song as the subject matter is definitely more Dylan than Clapton (Dylan wrote the tune). Best line - "Link Wray was playin, on the jukebox I was payin."



Track 5 - St. Charles (Jefferson Starship)
Lets review history: Jefferson Airplane, an iconic, historical, Hall-of-Fame band from San Francisco, played Woodstock, played Altamont; morphs into Jefferson Starship with nearly identical lineup, producing several hit LP's and tunes. Most Starship members quit the band or are asked to leave, which creates basically a new band, under the guise Starship, that becomes one of the worst acts in Rock n Roll. This track represents the best of the original JS lineup; crisp vocals from Slick, Balin and Kantner, solid, I said SOLID lead guitar from the extremely underrated Craig Chaquico, and a haunting organ courtesy of Pete Sears. While the LP Red Octopus had enjoyable tune after tune, this song from Spitfire is my favorite JS track.


Track 6 - Bad Time (Grand Funk Railroad)
I believe in being fully transparent, so I'll admit that I was never a fan of this band. Didn't hate them, but never had a desire to own an album/CD or to see them in concert. In college, while pursing a female acquaintance, I was force-fed some of her favorite bands, of which this was one of them. I, of course, was aware of their songs that made the FM playlists, but when I first heard this one, it instantly agreed with me. If you haven't heard it before, but are aware of hits like We're An American Band, Rock n Roll Soul, The Locomotion, Some Kind of Wonderful, and others, you'll think it's from an entirely different band. At least I do.





Track 7 – Amanda in a Silverworld (Kenny Young)
Let’s establish something right out of the gate; you’ve never heard this before nor have you heard of the artist. The LP that this comes from, Last Stage for Silverworld, is easily the most obscure title in my collection, yet, when I establish my Desert Island Discs, those 10 - 20 LP’s you’d be “allowed” to take to the mythical deserted island, this makes the cut every time. Long story how I came across this gem (possibly worthy of a dedicated piece later in the blog), but from the very first note I was hooked. If you’re familiar with the Stones classic, Under My Thumb, the opening string arrangement of Amanda will sound like a classical version of it. At least that’s what drew my ear to it upon the first listen, as Under My Thumb competes as one of my all-time favorite tunes. By the way, the artist, Kenny Young, co-wrote the hit Under the Boardwalk for the Drifters.




Track 8 – Let it Ride (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
One of the truly great bands to come out of Canada was The Guess Who. Hailing from Winnipeg, the band, led by Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, established a hitmaking formula that seemed to never end. You’ll recall Laughing, These Eyes, Undun, No Time, and American Women, just to name a few. This all stopped when Bachman and Cummings no longer got along, with Bachman deciding to form his own band, which caused the slow decline of The Guess Who.
Was never a fan of BTO, but this song made an impact on me. One of those songs that, for me, when it comes up on the iPod shuffle, it’s sacrilegious to forward to the next song. Probably one of 50 songs that holds that distinction.



Track 9 – Special (Garbage)
How good and confident does a band need to be to give themselves the name Garbage? Not unlike the Kennedy assassination and 9/11, I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard this, and I was completely blown away. Curling up on the couch and tuning in Saturday Night Live a bit late, the television picture came into focus as the music segment began. I heard the introduction of the band, and, based upon their name I didn’t know what to expect. From the first guitar lick I was hypnotized by what I saw and heard. Became a huge fan that evening; I  own their entire discography. This song, among many favorites, is number 1.



Track 10 – Poison Ivy (The Coasters)
Depending on your age, this one was quite possibly a favorite of your parents or grandparents. Written by the songwriting team of Leiber and Stoller of Brill Building lore, this was an instant hit (#1 on the R&B charts and #7 on Billboard’s Top 100) upon its release in 1959. Lots of cover versions through the years by everyone from The Stones to Hansen. None are better than the original, which harkens back to a simpler time. Fun song, with the following great lyric, “You’re gonna need an ocean / of calamine lotion.”




Track 11 – Money in the Bank (John Anderson)
I don’t have a lot of Country in my music collection. It’s not that I don’t like it; I have a great deal of respect for the genre, it just I was never exposed to it. Most of the Country songs that I do like tend to be those that exhibit a sense of humor, and Money in the Bank is a joyous romp for Anderson as he is offered countless valuables as trade for his lady, but, alas, she “looks better than money in the ba-ya-ya-ya-yank.”



Track 12 – Manpi No G Spot (Southern All-Stars)
I was made aware of this band, one of the most beloved rock groups in Japan, during a business trip to Tokyo in the mid-90s. A headquarters’ employee, who I had worked with during his ex-pat assignment in the US, had an affinity for English and American rock music, so we spent many a lunch and dinner discussing his nearly encyclopedic knowledge of the subject. After analyzing my favorite bands, LPs, and songs, he recommended the Southern All-Stars, and this tune became my instant favorite. Lots of energy, and a vague subject matter to be certain. Would love to have the lyrics translated to English; my colleague refused to translate it, and warned to be discreet when asking a Japanese native speaker to do so. Warning received, and never made the request. Doesn’t matter what the lyrics say or mean, it’s a f*cking great song!

Note: This is a cover version, but you'll get the gist.



Track 13 – I Can’t Tell You Why (Vince Gill)
Another rare Country artist from my catalog. I find Gill’s cover version of The Eagles hit superior to the original, and the original is top notch! Timothy B. Schmitt’s voice is perfect for this song, but Gill exceeds all expectation with this version. Gill’s voice, perfectly aligned with a moving organ arrangement not found on the original, sets the song apart. Still, the song stays true to the spirit of the original. One listen, two tops, and you’ll prefer Gill’s version. I just can’t tell you why.



Track 14 – Wichita Lineman (Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66)
The great songwriter Jimmy Webb penned this, Galveston, and By the Time I get to Phoenix for the late Glen Campbell. All were huge hits. Sergio Mendes added a jazzy, samba flavor, turned the sultry tones of Lani Hall loose on it, and the rest is history. Listen to both versions in succession. Two completely different songs with the exact same lyrics. Campbell’s version is a masterpiece; Mendes’ an Obra-prima.





Track 15 – I Love LA (Randy Newman)
Nothing more needs to be said, it’s all in the title! “From the South Bay / To the Valley / From the Westside / To the Eastside / Everybody very happy / Cause the Sun is shining all the time / It’s like another perfect day / I Love LA”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Hell is a Kringle? I'll Tell You What a Kringle Is!

The Holy Trinity of YouTube Wristwatch Content: Theo & Harris, Federico Talks Watches, and Teddy Baldassarre

Record Store (What's That?) Employment, Forgotten Refrigerators, and That Cutout LP - Part 2